After massive backlash, Preity Zinta clears the air about her #MeToo comments and apologises, Read full statement

Actor Preity Zinta , who has been receiving backlash for her views on #MeToo movement , released her statement on the movement and aplogised for unintentionally hurting sentiments of people. In her statement, the 'Kal Ho Naa Ho' star said, "I am a huge supporter of the movement and its unfortunate that some of my comments were taken out of context. I recognise that everyone is in a position to fight back and I don't want to marginalise the women that have been abused."
Referring to her own # MeToo experience, Preity said that it also happened to her and she reacted to it strongly. 'My reason for saying this 'I wish something like this would have happened to me" in the film industry with a smile was becuase I would have reacted to it and much later, when it did happen, I did react and the whole world saw it,' she stated.
Here's what her full statement read:
To all the women out there. I'm sorry if I have unintentionally hurt your sentiments on the #MeToo movement. 
It's ironic that someone who has gone through abuse, asI have, has to clarify this. First I am a huge supporter of the movement and it's unfortunate that some of my comments were taken out of context. 
My reason for saying "I wish something like this would have happened to me" in the film industry with a smile was because I would have reacted and slapped the person. So it never happened and much later when it happened I did react & the whole world saw it. 
Having said that, I recognize that not everyone is in a position to fight back and I don't want to marginalize the women that have been abused. 
The Sweetu & Me Too comment was not mine but I was quoting a man, which implied that men are now cautious in their approach to women at work.
Preity Zinta got massive backlash for her comments on the movement in a few interviews that she did for the promotions of her upcoming film. Though, she did tweet about a particular interview with a web portal and blamed shoddy editing which blew up the matter. 
My final statement on the #MeToo movement & everyone around it. pic.twitter.com/SF9vqEhC4b
— Preity G Zinta (@realpreityzinta) November 20, 2018

Really sad 2see how the interview Is edited to trivialis& be insensitive. Not everything is traction & as someone being interviewed I expected decency & maturity froma journalist @iFaridoon . I did 25 interviews that day & only yours turned out edited like this #dissappointed
— Preity G Zinta (@realpreityzinta) November 19, 2018
The #MeToo movement , which began in Hollywood more than a year ago, gathered steam in India after actor Tanushree Dutta accused co-star Nana Patekar of allegedly harassing her on the sets of 'Horn Ok Pleassss' in 2008.
Since then, women from various walks of life, especially the media and entertainment industry have levelled allegations of sexual misconduct against the likes of Subhash Ghai, Alok Nath, Vikas Bahl, Kailash Kher, Chetan Bhagat, Sajid Khan, and Varun Grover among others,  even as they all have denied the charges. 
Article Type:  Report Sections:  Bollywood Entertainment Agencies:  ANI Tags:  Bollywood Preity Zinta Official Statement #MeToo #MeToo movement full statement Twitter Me Too Tanushree Dutta Nana Patekar Kal Ho Naa Ho Tue, 20 Nov 2018-04:21pm Date updated:  Tuesday, 20 November 2018 - 4:21pm Article Images: 

Image Courtesy: Twitter

Short URL:  dnai.in/fLUx Embargo:  Syndicate:  Hide lead image:  Page views:  192 From Print Edition:  Highlights: 
Market Update
SENSEX 31,622.48 -187.07(%)
NIFTY 9,898.00 -54.2(%)